Saturday 22 November 2008

Korla


After a 12 hour drive stopping at the Kizil caves and a former Buddhist temple called Subash, we had one more break-down and had to leave a car in Kucha to have its clutch replaced while the rest of us continued on to Korla.

I've had a proper shower head and enough bandwith to get a few pics up. We're leaving in half an hour for a five hour drive through the mountains to Urumqi, the journey here at the beginning of the trip was a bit hairy due to horizontal sleet and icy roads but fortunately we have pretty safe and professional drivers who only sleep at the wheel on the straight roads after a big lunch. I'm skipping a cabbage and gruel breakfast and having a sachet of Nescafe Skinny Latte (stirred with a toothbrush) that I brought from home and some soft peanut brittle that I've sourced somewhere on the way in my room, bliss.

I had internet in our Urumqi hotel before but you can't count on anything here but I hope to post more before the train to Kazakhstan. As long as I'm posting here my pics are failing to upload so I'm off now to get into the seven dirty layers of clothes that I'm going to need for the sub-zero conditions.

1 comment:

reen said...

Phew- have been trying to post comments and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Glad to hear you're OK and that it's possible to buy spades so easily. Very useful too. I just bought a cordless battery operated reciprocating saw. Lovely. Best bit on Amazon was that customers who bought this item also bought Celine Dion's Greatest Hits.And you thought it was just you're neck of the woods that was weird! If it makes you feel better, it's cold here too and I'm wearing big socks, birkenstocks, track pants and my hair is a bit like Emo Philips. And my mouth tastes a bit like Gorgonzola. Time for a fag me thinks! Let's hope this gets to you- chin up, and remember that women did that trip in corsets and parasols. Hope the lips have healed- try rubbing some mutton fat on them.... reen xxxx