Sunday 5 April 2009

Dunhuang Daze

We've arrived in Dunhaung after spending yesterday and last night in Beijing. Today was a two-flight day changing at Xi'an airport and a combination of jet lag, airline food and nescafe is taking its toll. I've managed to finish my book (Young Hearts Crying, Richard Yates) and watch the entire second series of 30 Rock on my iPod (thanks Kissley, I liked the Tracey/Mozart episode the best).

We just had a short but uncomfortable formal welcome dinner with the guys from the Dunhuang Academy. I think there were pig's ears, liver slivers, assorted gruels and sweet eyeball soup (not really eyeballs — I hope).

I'd like to write more but I'm shattered and the education workshop (the reason we're here) is tomorrow. We're expecting 80 schoolchildren, tell you all about it tomorrow.

3 comments:

Michael said...

don't envy that menu! have fun.

deux oiseaux said...

the flat is in one piece, including ed who sasson brushed today. it got a bit violent towards the end...

i took your bike out for a ride. hope that's okay. we pumped up the tires. it survived a trip through hyde park & kensington. but my damn legs are sore.

glad you enjoyed 30 rock. liz lemon is my hero because i like her eating habits.

going to join ed in nutty hour...he kicked the cigar under the table again...

reen said...

Glad all is well- loved the cucumber! Bet they pumped that up with bicarb!

keep well, Reen